God is not in two minds about us. He can only see us as the saints we are called to be in this life.
- You were a sinner but now your are saved by the empowering presence of God in you.
- Repentance is apologizing to God and saying, "I am no longer that person, so I turn away from that towards the newness of life in God."
- Paul wrote to two distinct people groups in the book of Romans: Jews and Gentiles. Romans 7 is written only to Jews who knew the law.
- Don't play dead. Stay dead!
- The religious system takes the gospel and adds bits of OT legalism, focusing on fixing your old man that is already dead in Christ.
- Listen for the tone of God's voice in scripture. "Be holy, just as I am holy" is a benediction, not a harsh command.
- Life in Christ is a gift. We didn't earn it. We responded to it. Righteousness, salvation, peace, wisdom... all gifts.
Romans 5:1 ff
2 Corinthians 5:21
1 Corinthians 1:30
1 Corinthians 1:2
1 Timothy 1:12-16
Romans 6:7, 14
Story: Feed "white dog," starve "black dog." Not God. Buddhist teaching. The "black dog" is dead.
There's a lot of scriptures in this episode! Be a good Berean (Acts 17:11) and read through these scriptures as you listen to the teaching. Continue to explore them with the Holy Spirit!
"The Nature of Freedom" in the Letters From God series talks about many of the topics of this episode from God's perspective. You may find it helpful. https://www.brilliantbookhouse.com/collections/freedom/products/the-nature-of-freedom